Department of Internal medicine, Clinical synthesis

 
 

A brief history

Untitled

The Medical Clinic No. 1 (the Internal Medicine Discipline– Clinical Synthesis), a part of the Internal Medicine Department was created in 1946. Initially it was called the Chair of the Faculty of Medicine, later being changed into the Chair of Internal Medicine No. 1, No. 5, No. 6.

The founder and Head of the Chair during the first 26 years (1946-1972) was N.T. Starostenko, a university professor who later founded one of the Schools of Internal Medicine for all the doctors from the Republic of Moldova. Professor N. T. Starostenko was an important scientist credited with 117 publications including 7 monographs. Under his supervision 28 PhD theses were published along with 4 doctor habilitate theses in medicine.

During 1950-1960 the Chair acquired new professors from among its own graduates who later became associate professors (A. Diordiţa, V. Socol, R. Coşciug, A. Botnari, A. Secrieru, Inna Kulakova, F. Ambros) and university professors – A. Izvoreanu. In 1960 the electric shock treatment of the supraventricular and ventricular tachyarrythmias was used for the first time in the Republic of Moldova.

From 1972 to 1987 the Chair was led by the associate professor Dr. A. Botnari. It was during this period of time in 1977 that the Chair changed its location in a new modern building with 250 beds based in the ClinicalMunicipalHospital “Sfanta Treime”.

From 1987 to 1993 the Chair of Internal Medicine was led by the associate professor Dr. F. Ambros. A computerized system of evaluation of students and residents was created along with the first set of tests for exams.

From 1993 to 2000 the Chair was led by A. Danilov, university professor, Doctor Habilitate, the author of over 100 scientific publications, mainly in the field of cardiovascular diseases. From 1997 the Chair of Internal Medicine No. 5 became the academic home of the Internal Medicine residents.

From September 2000 onwards Dr. S. Matcovschi, MD, Doctor habilitate, university professor has been Head of the Chair of Internal Medicine No. 5. Under his supervision 6 PhD theses were published. In 2010 a new Department of Internal Medicine was created in which there was included the Chair that was given the name of Medical Clinic No. 1, the Discipline of  Internal Medicine – Clinical Synthesis. Professor S. Matcovschi was appointed the Director of the Department of Internal Medicine and the Head of the Medical Clinic No. 1.